The Best Travel Photography Spots in Newfoundland and Labrador
Being a photographer offers one of the best opportunities to travel to different places and witness the world's natural beauty. As a travel photographer, you have to showcase picture-perfect sceneries not only to promote tourism in the area but also to create awareness about the people and cultures across countries. Here in Canada, the provinces have a lot to offer when it comes to numerous landscapes and preserved areas.
What to Visit in Newfoundland and Labrador
Newfoundland and Labrador is one of Canada's provinces which boasts many tourist attractions. There are so many things waiting to be discovered in this location. When you travel to Newfoundland and Labrador, you will have an enjoyable experience not only because of its beautiful scenery but also because of its warm-hearted locals and vibrant culture.
Ready to explore Newfoundland and Labrador? Here are the best travel photography spots to start with:
1. Bonavista - The name of the place was derived from the expression, "O Buona vista!" which means "Oh happy sight!". You might also say the same expression when you go on top of the town's 19th-century lighthouse and behold the panoramic view of the seascape. You may be stunned with the floating glaciers off the rocky coast. Try to take some photographs of the area's wildlife which are visible in the coastline.
2. Cape Spear - Cape Spear is the easternmost point in North America, which is located on the Avalon Peninsula. Going up to this historic site can provide a bird's eye view of its vast seascape. If you want to photograph the place, you may take the Blackhead Road to have easy access to this location.
3. Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve - If you want to feature an abundance of wildlife in North America, then you may head to Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve. It lies within the Avalon Peninsula where you can witness a variety of bird species. The place is said to be North America's most accessible site for bird colonies. You can try to take some images of great cormorants or black-legged kittiwakes that are roaming in the area. Moreover, it is important to mention that when visiting this place, everyone should be mindful and respectful of the birds’ habitat.
4. Codroy Valley - Vast farmlands, amazing cliffs, and historic churches - you may have an opportunity to capture all of these when you visit the Codroy Valley. It is protected by the Long Range Mountains and it is said to be one of the earliest recorded settlements in Newfoundland. Visiting the place in summer is an excellent opportunity to go hiking and kayaking. During winter, you can have fun while skiing and snowmobiling. Whatever the season is, you can take photographs of the valley's picturesque landscapes.
5. Elliston - Located in the Bonavista Peninsula is a town where you can capture amazing coastlines. It is also one of the ideal places to spot and photograph puffins. To witness the puffins in a nearer distance, you may head to Maberly Scenic Loop. Although puffins could be an interesting photography subject, remember to not disturb them when taking photos of them.
6. Ferryland - This place is hailed as the Irish heart of Newfoundland and Labrador since you can feel it with the Irish's traditions, music, and local's lifestyle. The Ferryland Town has a restored lighthouse which can be an excellent subject for photography. You can also display the rich culture of the place by taking pictures of the houses and cobblestone streets which were built in the 17th century.
7. Fogo Island - This island can overwhelm you with its magnificent seascape. Using your camera, you can showcase the location's Irish heritage with its classic boathouses and clapboard cottages. Besides photography, you can also hike in one of Fogo Island's famous trails, which is hailed as one of the four corners of the world.
8. Gros Morne National Park - It is one of the largest national parks in Canada and it is situated on the western side of Newfoundland. The name of the park was derived from Canada's second-highest peak, Gros Morne. Travelling to this site is an excellent opportunity to take photos of unique rock formations. You can also photograph mountain views and desert-like areas.
9. St. John's - If you visit the top destinations in Newfoundland, you should never miss its capital. St. John's is the oldest and most easterly city in North America. You may explore Quidi Vidi, which is a small village that features an old fishing outport. You can take photographs of the capital while hiking along the Signal Hill. Visiting the area could allow you to witness the timeless beauty of Cabot Tower which architecture could make for an amazing photographic subject.
10. Terra Nova National Park - If you want to translate the natural beauty of Newfoundland and Labrador into photographs, then you may include Terra Nova National Park in your list of places to visit. There are so many things to feature in this location ranging from rugged cliffs to exposed headlands and forests. Apart from taking pictures, you can have beautiful memories in this place by trying different recreational activities.
11. Torngat Mountains National Park - The name of this national park was derived from the word, Tongait, which refers to a place of spirits. If you get to visit this location, try to explore the religious and cultural sites. Join the locals here as they harvest food for the tourists. Don't forget to bring your camera and capture people's activities here. You can also capture majestic peaks and small glaciers in the area.
12. Twillingate - If you want to take photos of spectacular icebergs, then you may head to Twillingate, which is one of the best spots to see them. Try to capture photographs of pastel houses on top of cliffs and rocky lands.
Something that can make your journey more memorable in Newfoundland and Labrador is the warm and welcoming people of this province. But besides affectionate locals, you may also fall in love with the province's natural beauty. Vivid coastlines, boreal forests, and grandiose peaks - include Newfoundland and Labrador in your list of places to visit and witness all of these beautiful sceneries.