Amazing Canadian Locations for Photographers
Canada is one of the largest countries in the world, with many breathtaking sceneries to offer.
One day couldn't be enough to take photographs in all of Canada's amazing landscapes. Whether you are an amateur or professional photographer, you will surely love to explore this country.
If you need a location to practice your photography skills, Canada has amazing places that you could go to enhance these skills.
Exploring the Largest Cities in Canada
Got limited time? Maximize it by wandering first around the largest cities in the country. Public places can provide a lot of fascinating photography subjects, including the people and its community, the buildings and its architectural designs, sunsets, and many more. You can start with the top 5 biggest cities in Canada:
- Toronto - It is the capital of Ontario and the most populated city in Canada. Toronto is one of the cities that you should visit because of its photogenic spots. These include the CN Tower, Distillery District, Kensington Market, Nathan Phillips Square, Gooderham Building, and a lot more.
- Montreal - The second largest city in Canada is Montreal, which is located in Quebec. This city is known for aerospace, commerce, finance, and pharmaceutical industries. Aside from these fields, it is also one of the favourite spots of some photographers. The reason behind this is the city’s unique architecture and creative street art. You could explore the city's most historic district which is called Old Montreal. Other places that are perfect for photoshoots are Lachine Canal, Jacques Cartier Bridge, and World Trade Centre.
- Vancouver - Vancouver is located in the province of British Columbia. This city is known to be the most linguistically diverse city. Lumber and tourism are some of the economic activities here. It is also where the largest port in Canada is located. If you are strolling in the city and you got a camera in hand, you could visit Bloedel Conservatory, Coal Harbour, False Creek, and Stanley Park.
- Calgary - This city is located in the province of Alberta. The city's primary industries include the oil and gas sectors. Calgary has lured some photographers because of its streetscapes. Not only that, this city is near the Rocky Mountains, which is loved by several photographers. If you have time, you can go to the Central Library, Crescent Height, Peace Bridge, The Rundle Ruins, Wonderland Sculpture, and Central Memorial Park.
- Edmonton - The fifth biggest city in Canada is Edmonton. It is also known as the Gateway to the North because it is the entrance to diamond and oil mining in northern Alberta. If you are searching for scenic spots, you can explore the Forest Heights Park, High Level Bridge, Graffiti Streetcar Tunnel, Keillor Road, and Muttart Conservatory.
Picture-Perfect Canadian Spots
If you are not into urban photography and you want to feature more natural aesthetics in your portfolio, then Canada has a lot of beautiful places to offer. Listed below are some of the favourite Canadian locations by many amateur and professional photographers.
- Banff - This Canadian spot is located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. It is one of the perfect places to visit if you are into skiing and hiking. You can explore the area and try skiing down Mount Norquay. You can also hike to Hoodoos where you can take photographs of its massive limestone pillars.
- Cape Breton Highlands National Park - This place is loved by several hikers because there are 26 hiking trails to choose from. The park is also famous for its scenic drives. When you go to this place, you have a lot of rural fishing villages to visit. You can also pass the forested river canyons. To take great shots of canyons, you may use a lightweight tripod to have more stability when capturing the movement of the water.
- Jasper National Park - Located on the eastern edge of Alberta is one of Canada's wildest places. Going to this place can provide you with several majestic views. You can witness many amazing spots when you trek from the peaks of Mount Edith Cavell to Maligne Canyon. During winter, you can go to Marmot Basin and perform cold-weather activities there. You can also try skiing and snowshoeing in the place.
- Kluane National Park and Reserve - If you want to take a photo of the highest peak in Canada, then you may be interested in going to this location. Here is where you can find the majestic Mount Logan. You can also get a panoramic shot of the country's largest ice field. Besides getting amazing photos, you may also be interested in going on a rafting trip in the Alsek River or hiking on the St. Elias Mountains.
- Niagara Falls - Niagara Falls is one of the most-visited locations in Canada because of its astonishing view. If you haven't visited it and you have decided to come to this place, you can be enchanted on how the Niagara River runs toward a 188-foot waterfall with an approximate speed of 20-30 mph. It sometimes goes up to 68 mph - creating a fog when the river falls. You can capture amazing shots of the waterfalls by experimenting on the shutter speed of your camera. There are also hotels and restaurants nearby if you want to stay longer in this place.
- Prince Edward Island - If you are not the beach-type person, you can try one of the Island's golf courses. Prince Edward Island is famous for its mouthwatering seafood delicacies. Taking pictures of the adorable harp seals in this place could also melt your heart, especially if you love animals.
- Whistler - If you want thrill and adventure, Whistler could be one of your best picks. It is a resort where you can do bobsled rides, bungee jumping, skiing, and snowboarding. As a photographer, you may fall in love with this place because of its impeccable lakes and stunning waterfalls. Whistler is the home of the Coast Mountains, which is a perfect setting for photo ops.
Whether it is summer or winter, Canada has a lot of enchanting places for you to photograph. Aside from having picture-perfect settings for photo ops, you can also try the activities that each place offers. Canada has great locations for photographers because of its stunning landscapes. Try to explore all the places while practicing your photography skills.